Are There Bugs in Your Christmas Tree?
Tis the season for family, friends, gifts, and fun! The last thing you want is to find bugs in your Christmas Tree. Unfortunately, a live Christmas tree can have as many as 25,000 bugs. Some common bugs you may find in your Christmas tree include:
- Aphids: Aphids are small dark-colored bugs that can be found on the lower branches of the tree. They can leave a purplish stain on packages or on furniture if squashed.
- Spider mites: These bugs look like small red or brown dots. They will also leave red stains on decorations or even the carpet.
- Sawflies: These insects are found in little brown cocoons that will hatch small yellow flies. Sawflies do not stain, but they are still a nuisance to have in your house.
- Bark Beetles: Bark beetles are small red, brown or black beetles about the size of a grain of rice. These little guys burrow into the trunk of the tree and leave sawdust-like droppings. If these guys get into other wood in the home it can cause a serious problem.
How to Get Rid of Bugs in Your Christmas Tree
It's best to deal with any insects on your Christmas tree before they become a problem. In order to prevent bringing bugs into your home via your tree, there are some measures you can take. You can prevent bringing bugs inside and get rid of bugs in your Christmas tree by:
- Inspecting the tree for bugs before bringing it into the house.
- Shaking the tree gently to dislodge bugs without damaging the tree.
- Leaving your tree in the garage for a few days before bringing it inside.
- Dusting the tree with diatomaceous earth or with neem oil to help remove insects.
If you're finding bugs around your home, or think you may have bugs in your Christmas tree. Contact a reputable pest control company to get rid of any pests in your home. If you're located in Southern Utah, check out Western Pest Control's pest control services!